Wednesday 20 April 2011

VIRGIN LONDON MARATHON - SUNDAY APRIL 17TH 2011

VIRGIN LONDON MARATHON - SUNDAY APRIL 17TH 2011

Ever since I started running 12 years ago , the marathon has been a central focus of my year. Rather than a mere race.  In fact London has become more of an annual pilgrimage for myself and family. With this in mind it is very important that I head into this as fit and well prepared as possible. This year my training had gone as smoothly as it could possibly go up until 5 weeks ago. I had maintained a good level of mileage throughout the ice and snow during the winter and built to some cracking training and mileage in the build to London. Just when I was building to cracking peak fitness , I had a fall and smashed my left knee. With only five weeks to go, I thought that this was not ideal but I'll have a week of rest and ice baths and get back to the old grind stone. Three weeks later and it was still no better.  I decided I had no wish to limp round London and not wanting to drop way bellow my normal times I started to seriously think about dropping out. Two weeks to go, all those weeks wading through snow and the general pre London buzz in the shop I finally decided to give it a wurl. I put in action a totally unorthodox week before race mileage build-then taper in the last 4 days.  I hoped this would work.  I headed down to the Excel expo to collect my number and soak up the Marathon buzz on the Friday and headed into Oxford street for some retail therapy in case the Sunday went Pete Tong. Saturday the weather forecast went from ok, to mild, to warm. 12 degrees to 15 and then to finally 19 degree.  London race conditions were often good so I was not too concerned but was just praying for no wind.  Ideally I am ultimately looking at sub 2.40 but with various injuries in mind , I was pretty sure this was out of the question. Getting round in one piece was my first target and staying in under 2.45 was my secondary target and above all this was a determination to enjoy the day because ultimately that is what it is all about.  Standing at the start line was exciting enough but standing just behind one of the worlds greatest marathon runners, Martin Lel of (a Kenyan with marathon of 2.05) it suddenly came clear and all worries just disappeared....as did the Kenyans when ol' Dickie Branson started the race. Sunday morning started off fine but gradually got warmer and warmer. I went through the first 19 miles very easily.....or should I say comfortably. The support just gets better and better every year.  With my club (York Knavesmire harriers) marshalling and giving fantastic support on tower bridge and then various friends giving various terrific shout outs throughout the race, it really spurring me on. With the weather a tad on the toasty side I was poring water over my head , neck and shoulders at every point and occasionally taking on drinks in small amount. At about the 20 mile area my knee, right hamstring (an old injury) and calves all started to fall apart and my pace dropped a tad. I managed to hang on for 4 miles and then with the last 2.2 miles to go and the end in sight I suddenly found a last minute surge from somewhere. Absolutely thrilled with getting round ok, I finished 2.43.06 (220th overall) and a whole 2 seconds faster than last year and only 1 minute away from my 2008 Pb of 2.42.06. After meeting with up with my family , I downed a coke (full fat....none of that diet rubbish) in a Pb time.  I just needed to get a quick sugar influx after feeling a tad drained from the heat. We jumped on the train , headed back to Greenwich village for a well earned pint.....or 4. It was over.  All in all - mission accomplished. The fabulous thing about London marathon is it brings complete strangers together, whether it's someone keeping pace with you along the route, people cheering for you along the route and random people coming up to you in the street / pub shaking your hand and congratulating you. Whether you are a first timer or have done every single London is truly is an an amazing event and I strongly advise anyone to do it a least once. My next target is to go for that elusive sub 2.40 at a marathon in either Sept or Oct. Amsterdam maybe a promising option. Fingers crossed , touch wood and all that.

REPORT BY RICHARD (Sir Richard of York)


The below addition to the email Richard sent did tickle me and I thought it appropriate to add it.....
 
Alternatively if the above is too nerdy, cheesy, long winded and boring then there is the text below. Personally I like he above Tolkien version but you may prefer this edited version....

LONDON MARATHON '11
It were warm and sunny. We all had fun and did well all things considered. I did it in 2.43.06

I think we all agree the former is much more in keeping with the achievement.  Here is the picture of the lad and his like minded Marathoner friends.  Well done Richard from all at U&R.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.