Thursday 4 August 2011

Jodie Stimpson interview

Melanie Ryding is the editor for an ezine called Ryding2health, GB triathlete, Twitterer and is just a general all round great person. If this is not enough she also in her spare time is a London 2012 BT Storyteller with a particular passion for triathlon. She has provided us this piece for you to read. So if you are a budding triathlete and want to be inspired read on.
------------------------------------ 
Meet Jodie Stimpson, Elite GB triathlete with her eye on an Olympic team slot this week at Hyde Park. Jodie is the 2011 British Super Series Champion 2010 Garmin Barcelona Triathlon Champion.

With a recent win in the Virgin London Triathlon and the title as reigning British Super Series champion (again) - she is one to keep your eye on for sure. Her results get better and better, and she is still only 22!

1. You started out as a swimmer when you were younger, what made you take the move into triathlon?
My uncle did Ironman and my cousins followed in his foots steps and had a bash at triathlon so did too, and I did my first triathlon at 9.

2. What other sporting interests did you have in school?
I was in the netball team at school and I also did water polo.

3. Where did your very first triathlon take place, how did you do and what were your thoughts during and after?
I was 9 years old so I can’t remember a lot. The main thing I remember is it being part of the milk series! What a brilliant series that was, and I won so obviously that added to the positive experience I had.

4. How do you cope with winter training, in a country like the UK? What would your advice be to athletes to maximize training while minimizing the effects of the great British weather?
I have been really lucky the past 2 winters and have spent them out on the gold coast with my coach Michelle Dillon and Team Dillon but with the UK’s great winters it’s hard to get the millage in but I would say that get little tools to help makes the huge difference, swimming with a club or group, cycling with Computrainer is brilliant and makes cycling on turbo fun when you cannot get outside. I love treadmill running which is lucky but running cross country in the winter is also fun.

5. Tell us about the things you find difficult about balancing life as a Pro triathlete? What are the BEST bits about being a pro triathlete?
The only thing I struggle with is the financial side of being a triathlete, not being support by the BTF is hard and going from race to race trying to put money in the bank for the next race is hard and I do struggle with that but being a triathlete is my dream and I wouldn’t change it for the world, the best thing about being a triathlete is the racing! And, that’s everything about the race. 

6. TV coverage has a lot to do with a sport's popularity. How do you think it impacts on triathlon, and what would you like to see improved / changed?
Having the world championship series on the RED button had helped grow the sport massively and I can really tell the difference the only thing I would like to see changed is having other UK triathlon events live on TV like the world championship series.

7. Describe the opportunities and challenges you face with regards to gaining funding to continue training and competing at world level?

This is tough as I am not on funding from the British program so the only funding I get is when I win some money from races, so it’s really tough especially when races don’t go your way. Even when they do you have still had to pay for your flights and accommodation for the race so it’s hard to make money out of the races sometimes.

8. Describe the highs and lows involved with being a member of team Dillon.
There is no lows in being part of Team Dillon, actually the only low of being part of team Dillon is that Michelle has got me addicted to Caesar Salads but seriously no there is no lows and the highs are endless but the coach athlete relationship (me and Michelle) has is the biggest high I can say. Being coached by the athlete you want to become is the best.

9. Describe what the transition was like moving from Junior / U23 to senior elite racing.
I wasn’t the best junior and getting silver under my first year under Michelle at the U23 was amazing and I am still only 22. Racing against the big girls and the women I look up to is amazing I learn so much racing with them every race.

10. It is possible for age group athletes to be trained by Michelle and her team, but the fees are quite high. What would you say to anyone considering it?
Michelle is the best coach out there. I have also seen the effort that she puts in to her age group athletes; she lives through every email with them and really gives 110% to everyone of her athletes. I can’t put into words how great a coach she is and if you have a goal she won’t stop until it’s reached.

11. Who are your sporting role models and why?
As a youth I always loved to watch Michelle race, I remember a few of her races put the one that sticks in my mind is when I watched her win Salford from coming from so far back out the swim it was unreal, she showed that you just can never give up.

12. Several times we have been on the course cheering you and you have personally thanked us afterwards. Describe the role the crowds play in your racing.
When I hear the crowd cheering for me it makes me feel on top of the world and helps lift me, though out the race I can hear people calling me on but I really feel the benefits when I am on the run, it’s like the crowd gives me another lung to use.

13. What are your goals for London Hyde Park on Saturday? Do you expect Olympic qualification to be tough?
The Olympic qualification will be very tough, one of the toughest in the field but at least that way GB knows they have got the best chance with whoever starts on that line in 2012 ,I just hope it’s me.

14. Who are the ones to watch do you think for triathlon medals in London 2012?
The top of that list has got to be Helen Jenkins, she has showed how good she is on the swim bike and run and we are still a year out from the games.

15. What are your goals beyond London 2012?
Long term I would to get the three Olympic Games but straight after the Olympics I would love to do some more races in America.

16. What would your message be to young people thinking of taking up your sport?
Try it, have a go, you may find you love it, I did I have never looked back. 

17. Anything else you would like to add?
If you are free on the 6th August, it would be great to have GB support all around the course like the past two years, it really lifted my race and would be awesome if it was anything like the past 2 years.

Hyde Park on Saturday 6 August / Sunday 7 August is a London2012 test event and Olympic qualifier. Come down on Saturday at 8.35 – 10.30 to watch the women’s race, or Sunday 13:05 – 14:50 to watch the men’s race.
If you cannot get to London, British Triathlon are showing the race on big screens in Manchester, Derby, Portsmouth, Birmingham, Plymouth and Cardiff. More information can be found here http://www.britishtriathlon.org/news/article.php?id=11288 
------------------------------------ 
If you like this interview and want to read more of Mel's work then keep an eye out for her input on the BT storytellers web site

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.