Tuesday 15 March 2011

Race For Life - a reason to take part

With the race for life events just round the corner I thought I would just bring awareness of the events to the fore.  I asked a friend to put down some thoughts on why she took part in Race for Life.  Here are her words.....

I have always liked running, I only ran for myself and never had any thoughts of running with a Club. Running on your own makes you feel free and when you run for yourself you are only competing with one person.
However, about 15 years ago I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer this was such a blow and for a little while I felt very negative,  but with the wonderful treatment and help I received at the hospital I was finally pronounced clear after 5 years,  I was also supported by a Breast Cancer nurse who gave me valuable advice and a positive outlook. I know also that over the past number of years more and more people are recovering and going on to live long and happy lives due to generosity of people who support the Charity, this also gives you hope all will be well.
I was asked by the Company I worked for to run in a team of people to support Cancer Research – of course I jumped at the chance.  It was a very hot sunny day in Hull, there were 8,000 women running, virtually all of  were running for Mums, Dads, brother, sisters etc.  I had met a girl in hospital who was only 34 and  she wasn't as lucky as me, so I was running for my dear friend Michelle.  It was utterly overwhelming, the atmosphere was electric and when I wasn't crying I was filled with humility. That time I raised £380, but that wasn't really the point, everyone, everywhere is touched by this terrible disease and if we can help at all this is a great way to do it, to be part of the ‘team’.
I have run virtually every year since, and each time am filled with awe at the bravery of people and if we can eradicate this disease by raising money in this way I shall run until I am 90!!  Hopefully!
I think you will all agree Race for Life is such an amazing event for a great cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.